Cabbage rolls are like a warm and cozy blank canvas. You can fill the pliant leaves with flavors from around the world. With ginger, sesame, rice vinegar, and tamari, the filling in these cabbage rolls will evoke your favorite egg roll. Braised in a tomatoey sauce, the filling cooks gently. You can serve these right away or they make a great prep and freeze meal for the next time you want a quick, easy, and delicious dinner. Go ahead and make a double batch. Your future self will thank you!
- 1 large green cabbage, whole
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1-14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon red chili paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 small onion, finely minced
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place filling ingredients into a bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a simmer. Core cabbage and place in simmering water. Carefully loosen cabbage leaves as they soften, setting them aside on a work surface.
- Cut a triangle shape at the base of each leaf to remove the thicker part of the stem.
- Place 1/3 cup of filling mixture into the center of one dried cabbage leaf. Roll up, tucking in the sides, and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining cabbage leaves and filling. Place cabbage rolls in a single layer in an oven-safe dish, seam side down.
- Stir together remaining ingredients and pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and bake for 25-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
MAKES 8-10 ROLLS • 2 HRS • GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE
Recipe provided by INFRA.