Summer is coming to an end. That means it’s time to switch gears and start preparing for back-to-school. Saying goodbye to a season filled with friends, family and fun vacations can be bittersweet, but it’s also an opportunity to welcome new friendships, a new classroom environment, and a new routine! Waking up with the sun, catching the school bus, and – one of our personal faves! – discovering tasty & healthy snacks to pack for the school year ahead.
Lunchboxes are a simple way to include an element of surprise & creativity. Here are some treat-worthy snacks that offer “delicious and nutrition” for your kiddos lunches or mid-morning snacks.
- breakfast ovals
- crackers, pretzels or popcorn
- fresh fruit, fruit cups or dried fruit
- graham or animal crackers
- meat sticks
- mini cookies
- mini muffins
- nut or seed butters
- protein bites
- snack bars
- string cheese or mini cheese wedges
- trail or nut mix
If you’re looking for back-to-school snacks (& more!) free from some of the most common allergens, including some gluten-free products, then use this guide to allergy-friendly brands you can count on*.
- All Free – Allergen-friendly brownie bites.
- Dee Bees Organics – Organic popsicles and freezies.
- Enjoy Life Foods – Chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, seasonal chocolate, protein bites, bars, cookies, mini cookies, crunchy cookies, chewy cookies, seed and fruit mixes, flour blends, and more.
- Free2Be – Chocolate and “Reese’s style” Sunbutter cups.
- From the Ground Up – Plant-based pretzels and crackers made with cauliflower and cassava flour.
- GoGo SqueeZ – Delicious pouches for kids made with a real blend of 100 percent healthy, yummy, non-questionable good stuff.
- Glutino – Gluten free pretzels, crackers, cookies, wafers, snack bars, bread, English muffins, baking mixes, and pizza.
- Let’s Do Organic – Every form of coconut product imaginable, from light to heavy coconut milk, coconut flakes of all sizes, coconut flour, and sweetened condensed coconut milk.
- Made Good – Granola products enriched with the nutrients from a full serving of vegetables. Products include granola bites and bars, soft baked cookies, crispy rice squares, chocolate chips, and cereals.
- O’Doughs – Specializes in vegan and gluten-free bakery products, such as gluten-free bread, buns, and bagels.
- Smart Sweets – Naturally sweetened, sugar free candy, from sweet fish to sour gummy bears.
- SmashMallow – Premium snacking marshmallow made with organic cane sugar and natural ingredients.
- Sun Butter – Sunflower seed butter spreads made with all natural ingredients. High in protein and vitamin E.
- Surf Sweets – Organic gummies, lollipops, and other candy from the makers of Wholesome Sweeteners. Plenty of seasonal product available, including Halloween trick or treat sized bags, and candy canes.
- That’s It – Pure fruit bars that are a mix of apple and berries, coconut, and other fruits.
- YumEarth – Simple sweets, including lollipops, gummy bears, licorice, fruit snacks, sour candies, hard candies, and vitamin C enriched.
*If you or your child have any type of food allergy, please refer to the individual product packaging for more information. Please be aware that some of these foods or brand varietals may contain or come into contact with common allergens (see below for Top 8 Food Allergens).
What are the Top 8 Food Allergens?
These account for 90% of all food allergies.
- Tree nut
To learn key information to help better understand food allergies, visit FARE facts and statistics here.