Try this veganized take on a traditional Vietnamese banh mi by subbing out the meat for marinated tofu. Load up the sandwich with quick pickled veggies that add a satisfying crunch and a zip to the toppings! This recipe would make a great option for your meal prep repertoire or comes together fast for easy, spur of the moment fare. There’s nothing like sinking your teeth into deliciously-packed, toasty bread and coming away with that perfect banh mi bite!
- 8 ounces marinated extra firm tofu, sliced
- 4 soft hoagie buns
- 1 carrot, finely julienned
- 1/2 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Crushed red chilies to taste
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/3 cup plant-based mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place sliced tofu on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the quick pickles by whisking together rice vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt, and crushed chilies in a small bowl. Add carrots and radishes and toss to coat. Set aside to rest for 5-20 minutes, tossing occasionally. Drain.
- For the sauce, combine mayonnaise and sriracha.
- To assemble, spread sauce on hoagie buns then layer tofu, cucumbers, quick pickle, and cilantro. Serve promptly.
VEGAN • TOTAL TIME: 45 MINS • SERVES 4
Recipe provided by INFRA.