Salted caramel is a popular ice cream flavor for a reason. The salt balances the potentially cloying sugar overload of caramel. When making an ice cream sandwich, we doubled down on this notion. Instead of using a traditional cookie base, swap the pantry staple saltine cracker! While the ice cream sets, the crackers get slightly soft, which means you can cut and eat this ice cream sandwich without worrying about cracker crumbs everywhere. To drive up the flavor factor, swirl caramel sauce between softened vanilla ice cream for another frozen dessert that’s sure to be an instant classic!
- 24 saltine crackers
- 2 pints oat or non-dairy milk ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce
- 1 cup chocolate sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Pan needed: 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan
- Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Place a layer of crackers on the bottom of the pan, trimming crackers to fit snug.
- Alternately layer ice cream and caramel sauce evenly over crackers, smoothing out the top.
- Place remaining crackers on top and pour on chocolate sauce. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and freeze for four hours to overnight.
- To Serve, lift out ice cream block and cut with a sharp knife into nine even sandwiches.
SERVES 9 • TOTAL TIME: 20 MINS + 4 HRS CHILLING • VEGAN
Recipe provided by INFRA.