Jump into spring with a seasonal project that’s great for the whole family! Marvel over the way boiled red cabbage turns an egg blue and yellow onion skins make a vibrant orange. It’s science and creativity all in one! The longer the eggs sit in their solutions, the more pronounced their color becomes. Try drawing on the eggs with crayons to create dye-free spots or dipping only half the egg. Who can make the funkiest egg of the dozen?
- 1 quart water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Hard boiled eggs
- For pink eggs: 2 medium beets, shredded or 2 tablespoons beet powder
- For blue eggs: 1/2 small red cabbage
- For orange eggs: 4 yellow onion skins
- For yellow eggs: 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- Place water and one natural coloring agent into a 2-quart pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-30 minutes. Cool mixture and strain each mixture into a separate bowl using a fine sieve. Stir in vinegar.
- Place hard boiled eggs into respective dyes for 20 minutes, longer for deeper color.
Recipe provided by INFRA.