Did you know that miso makes an excellent substitute for salt in many recipes? It supplies more flavor and nutrition than plain salt. In these Miso Apple Nut Muffins, 2 tablespoons of sweet white or mellow miso replace 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt!
DAIRY-FREE / 40 MIN
-1/2 cup organic vegetable oil
-1/3 cup organic brown rice syrup
-1 organic egg (optional)
-2 tablespoons Miso Master Organic Sweet White or Mellow White Miso
-2 tablespoons organic tahini
-1 cup organic apple juice
-3/4 cup filtered water
-2 1/4 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour
-1 teaspoon organic bulk herb cinnamon
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 cup organic dried apples, chopped
-1/2 cup organic bulk walnuts, chopped
-1/3 cup organic bulk raisins
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Whisk together the oil and rice syrup in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the egg, if using. Add the miso and tahini, and whisk vigorously until smooth. Stir in the apple juice and water.
3. Place the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl, then stir until well combined.
4. Add the dry mixture to the liquid mixture. Stir gently with a wooden spoon until just mixed. Do not over-stir. Fold in the apples, walnuts, and raisins.
5. Spoon the batter into oiled or paper muffin tins. Fill each cup about 7/8 full.
6. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then remove the muffins and cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Recipe provided by INFRA.