Thumbprint cookies are a timeless holiday cookie. Here, we give them a bit of a spin with big coconut flavor from both shredded coconut and extract. This recipe makes four dozen cookies, which is a holiday-sized batch! Perfect for cookie exchanges or keep them around for unexpected holiday guests. This recipe is also a good candidate to substitute gluten-free flour, if you have any guests in need of a gluten-free treat! Switch up the look and the flavor by using different fruit jams.
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup jam*
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
*Run jam through a fine mesh sieve before filling cookies.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with a hand mixer or stand mixer until light in color. Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing until incorporated after each addition. Add extracts and mix.
- Add flour, mixing just until dough forms.
- Roll dough into small balls, approximately a tablespoon in size. Then, roll in shredded coconut.
- Place 12 dough balls per parchment-lined baking sheet and press into the center of each cookie with the back of a tablespoon to create a “thumbprint”. Fill each well with 1/4 teaspoon of jam.
- Bake for 9–10 minutes, until light golden. Allow cookies to cool 10 minutes on baking sheet before serving.
VEGETARIAN • TOTAL TIME: 1 HR • MAKES 4 DOZEN COOKIES