Cue the BBQ (kind of)! We’ve got a shroom-static, meat-free twist for the BBQ pulled pork backyard favorite. Top each sandwich just the way you like with your choice of hot sauce and condiments!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large portobello mushrooms, shredded with two forks
- 24 ounces of button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 18 ounces WoodstockⓇ Original Organic Barbecue Sauce
- For serving: 6-8 toasted buns, coleslaw, WoodstockⓇ Organic Mayo, WoodstockⓇ Hot Sauce, WoodstockⓇ Organic Pickles
- Heat a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil, onions, and ½ teaspoon of salt. Sauté for 10-12 minutes, until translucent and tender.
- Wash mushrooms and discard stems. Use two forks to “shred” the portobello mushrooms. You can also slice them, but shredding will allow for a meatier texture that’s more similar to pulled pork. Thinly slice the button mushrooms.
- Add all of the mushrooms to the pan with onion mixture and stir well. Increase heat to high and cook down for 8-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the barbecue sauce, stir well, reduce heat and let it simmer and reduce for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns with mayo, coleslaw and/or pickles.
8-10 SERVINGS • PREP TIME: 15 MINS • COOK TIME: 40 MINS • VEGETARIAN
Recipe provided by WOODSTOCK FOODS.