Farro is a great grain to have in your pantry. Also known as emmer wheat, farro is a source of protein, fiber, and minerals. Plus, a 20-minute cooking time is nearly half of some other whole grains. Try it hot in soups or sides, or cold, like in this colorful alpha omega salad. It makes packing healthy lunches a snap! Make a batch of the salad and portion it into individual containers for the week. Your future self will thank you!
- 1 cup farro
- 5 cups cold water
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed oil
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Cook farro in water with a pinch of salt for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables as described above and place in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Whisk together dressing until emulsified.
- Combine farro, vegetables, dressing, peas, sunflower seeds, and cranberries. Toss and serve.
SERVES 4-6 • 30 MINS • VEGAN
Recipe provided by INFRA.